ICOM6012 Internet Infrastructure Technologies
Topic 1 Overview
Internet’s Birthday: Sept. 2 or Oct. 29, 1969.
- ARPANET (1969 -)
- TCP protocol in 1974
- “Internet = Internetworking”
- NSFNET (1986 -)
- The Internet (late 1980s)
Some Interesting Topics about Internet (More than Technical)
- Who controls the Internet?
- What is Net Neutrality?
- A TikTok Ban Is Overdue
- Zoom’s stock surges 41% after earnings beat, adding over $37 billion in market cap
Evolution of Computers
- Personal Computer
- Smart Phone
- mm-scale sensors
Semiconductors in Computers
- Transistor: a semiconductor device used to amplify or switch electronic signals and electrical power.
- IC: a set of electronic circuits on a small flat piece (“chip”) of semiconductor. Makes extensive use of transistors.
Electronic circuit: Processing (Computing), DC
Electrical circuit: Powering, AC
- General purpose, microprocessors from Intel
- Application-specific, or ASIC, Apple-designed Processors
To Make an IC
- Fabrication (fabrication plants/factories, “foundries” or “fabs”)
- Design and sells chips but outsources the fabrication
- Create significant savings for fabless companies